VMworld SF 2019 Pro Tips and Tricks
We’re back in SF, VMworld is less than a week away. If you are a VMworld veteran or this is your first time, I think there is something in this guide for everyone.
Before you go:
- Register for the event, sounds obvious but some folks arrive and are not registered and the per-registration is cheaper.
- Plan your week by visiting the Content catalog and populating your Schedule Builder Check out My Top 10 Sessions here The General Sessions are open seating but the break out sessions you need to register for. (There are almost always standing room for additional overflow but registering is a guarantee you get a good seat.)
- Logon to twitter to see what sessions are trending so you know before you go.
- San Francisco is unpredictable this time of year, could be hot or foggy and freezing, plan appropriately.
- Pack extra room in your bag or bring an extra one, you will receive a VMworld 2019 Back pack as well as tons of swag from VMware and partners in solutions exchange that you will want to bring home.
- If you are flying Southwest either get Early Bird Check-in or set a reminder on your phone to check in for you flight both going and return flights.
- Go to sleep now until the morning you travel to VMworld, no, seriously you are gonna need all the sleep you can get.
- Bring a warm hoodie or sweater and some warm clothes. “The coldest winter I ever had was summer in San Francisco” -Mark Twain
- This is home to Uber and Lyft so use them to get around or try the cable car!
During the Convention:
- If you are arriving early, do some sight seeing, visit Golden Gate park and Ocean Beach or take a ride over to Alcatraz.
- Wear comfortable shoes, you walk a lot in San Francisco but Moscone Center is huge!
- Attend the keynotes, you get all the good information first and the opening visuals are always stunning. At least attend the Technical Keynote if there is only one you plan to attend!
- Drink a lot of water, it’s can be hot during the day and in sessions. Grab bottles of water to take to your room at night too, there is either none in the rooms or it’s $6
- Visit the solutions exchange during the day, when it is less busy, so you can get one on one sessions with VMware experts or one of our partners experts.
- Network with other customers and VMware folks, share your success and learn what works for them. All the best in the world will be in one place for a week and that is huge.
- Take a break once in a while in the hang spaces, it’s gonna be a long week.
Find your Party Time!: Full List here!
Food and sight seeing recommendations:
Alcatraz– Get reservations early, books up fast.
The Stinking Rose – Great authentic Italian food.
Boudin’s – Sourdough bread bowls with Clam Chowder and Seafood
The View Lounge at Marriott SF – Unreal views, dinner and drinks, close to convention center.
Do’s and Dont’s:
- DO NOT LOSE YOUR BADGE OR IT WILL COST YOU TO REPLACE IT!
- Do get reservations for dinner now, Vegas will be very busy so if there is somewhere you really want to eat, especially for large groups, book that reservation now!
- Do try a hands on lab, there is no better way to learn than trying it yourself. These are first come first served, no need to sign up in advance just plan some time in your schedule.
- Do eat breakfast and lunch at the conference, save some hits on your expense report for dinners and drinks later.
- Don’t leave your laptop or personal belongings unattended or out of your control, while the conference is secure you just can’t be to careful.
- Always be alert when walking around with Laptops, especially at night, stay in groups or near the hotels.
- Do use common sense especially late at night, SF is a fairly safe city but like any big city, things can happen.
Have fun and be safe everybody! Hope to see you all there!